fatal error

General forum for discussions regarding UTStatsDB
utssace

fatal error

Postby utssace » Mon May 25, 2009 12:16 pm

With UTstatsDB 3.06, Getting this fatal error on initial installation .../admin.php

Fatal error: session_start() [<a href='function.session-start'>function.session-start</a>]: Failed to initialize storage module: user (path: ) in /mysite/utstats99/admin.php on line 63

I moved my hosting and it was working on my old host. Could there be a query port or something that needs
to be opened?

Will it work if I manually upload the database using mysql instead of using browser initialization?

Panther
Site Admin

Re: fatal error

Postby Panther » Mon May 25, 2009 12:54 pm

The web server is unable to write to the default session directory as specified in php.ini.

utssace

Postby utssace » Mon May 25, 2009 1:40 pm

Not sure I understand what that means. could it be a port or permission problem that my host can fix or does it sound like something I have wrong?

I asked my host here:
"1) UTSTATSDB uses SQLport 3306 by default. Can you open this port or give me the correct port number to use in the configuration file. This is the one with Fatal Error "Failed to initialize storage module". I am assuming it's a port problem. the database and config file is set up right."

They replied:
"We do not allow from outside access to the SQL server."

I am not sure if I am asking my host the right thing here. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Panther
Site Admin

Postby Panther » Mon May 25, 2009 3:10 pm

This has nothing to do with MySQL. Your session save path specified for PHP is not writable by the web server. Select a different path using session_save_path("/path_to_sessions"); to set a location that the web server can write to. This can be inserted into includes/main.inc.php after the require functions.

utssace

Postby utssace » Mon May 25, 2009 5:19 pm

I tried the session save and it didn't work for me. I wrote to my host and they are suggesting this:

The problem with the save handler is we have our set to use "user" which is the default for Drupal. Inside utstats99 you will need to find an appropriate place to add the line:

ini_set("session.save_handler","files");

Panther, can you suggest a place within utstats99 that I can add this line?....perhaps the same place
you mentioned before?

thanks

utssace

Postby utssace » Tue May 26, 2009 4:58 pm

I fixed it by placing the ini_set line in the admin.php file right after the requires. This allow utstatsdb to
write sessions to my drupal "files" folder that is writable.

Thanks

horndog

Postby horndog » Thu May 28, 2009 1:04 pm

Sorry to but in, I would like to thank you for the name of Drupal, i'm trying it out now. I would like to know of your installing utstatsdb as a module or just as a link? Thanks.

Return to “UTStatsDB”